The Davis family has been a continued force in the steel business in Erie, Pennsylvania for three generations. After working in the power industry and armed with an engineering degree, Dave Davis, current owner and president returned to Erie in 1985 to help his father Gene Davis, open Gene Davis Sales and Service at its current location at 1119 Payne Avenue. Prior to opening GDSS, Eugene ran G and F Steel, another steel reclamation business, in Wesleyville and Dave’s grandfather, Max Silver, operated in the local scrap and recycling steel business since WWII.
At Gene Davis Sales, every customer counts!
Many customers came to GDSS with small jobs—repairing a blade for a plow, welding a conveyor, or ordering a stainless steel backsplash. Many of the fabrication shops in Erie were not catering to one-off jobs at the time. Around 1990, the younger Davis decided to add custom fabrication services to his retail sales and steel reclamation business to fill this gap. Once the welding and fabrication production was in full swing, Dave hired a few master machinists and began offering machining services to his business plan.
Thirty years later, with an additional three buildings and another generation of Davis joining the company, Gene Davis Sales and Service is a fixture on Erie's east side. Specializing in service for both long time loyal customers and our newest customers, GDSS is happy to continue to serve the Erie community for generations to come.